Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Just an Update

It's been awhile since I posted, so I thought a short update might be in order.

General News: I purchased a few more utility lights for my seedlings and we converted a set of shelves into a better spot for my plants. We were getting sick of having to move the seedlings every time we wanted to do laundry. This new shelving system will work much better and be out of the way. It's not completely done yet but when it is I'll post a picture. We also picked up a couple of free windows for the cold frames today. They are beautiful 2'x5' casement windows and it's a shame we'll only be using them for a cold frame. We got them from a construction crew that was replacing all the windows in a whole house... Beautiful large, fancy windows... all going into the dumpster. What a waste. I'm glad we're going to be re-purposing a few, but it's a shame the rest will not be used. I also had a load of free wood chips delivered from a landscape company yesterday. It's amazing what you can get for free when you keep your eyes open (and you make good use of a feed reader!). We'll be working a lot on the outdoor gardens this weekend, so I hope to post some pictures. I meant to post my garden plan so we'll see if I can get to that before we actually have the garden built! On to specific plant news...

Leeks: They are still growing but slowly, but I think that's what they're supposed to do, so I guess that's a good thing. I keep meaning to move them to individual pots but I keep not having enough time. Maybe since they're growing so slowly I don't need to move them?

Pansies: They are also still growing but pretty slowly. I'm not sure if that's right so all I can do is wait and see. All of them have their first leaf set and some of them are starting a new shoot to form their second leaf set (the first "real" set). I'm impatient with these... I'd like to be able to plant them outside in a few weeks but I don't think that will happen. I will start these at least one month earlier next year.

Melons/Watermelons: Four out of five have sprouted and are looking good. I have transferred all the small plugs to larger peat pots and so far they are doing really well.

Others: I really want to plant some annuals for the business planters but I'm much too late, so I may just skip it. Also, I feel like I need to be planting something else but I can't remember what. I made a calendar based on days to maturity, time to harvest, etc. but I can't find it in the mess that is my house right now. We are redoing our home office so things are quite chaotic in the living room. More later...

No comments:

Post a Comment