Thursday, April 21, 2011

Ah... The Fun of Minnesota Spring

Here's the weather pattern for the past few weeks:

Early April: Cold. Wet. Icky. 30's.
A Day Later: Beautiful. Sunny. Warm. 60's.
A Day Later: Snow. Sleet. Wind. 20's.
Later That Afternoon: Snow is gone. Warm wind. 40's.

In Minnesota, April is fickle. There is the dichotomy of hundreds of beautiful seedlings laying in wait in my basement and the tricky weather outside. Late Winter and Early Spring require a lot of faith as a gardener, trusting that the weather will eventually turn warm enough to plant all the seedlings we've been lovingly caring for.

I walk downstairs to my basement seeding area and I see hundreds of beautiful seedlings laying in wait for their time out in the sunshine. It's full of promise down here... the bright green sprouts, the smell of moist soil, the colorful seed packets. But at this point in the year, I am tired of *potential* ... I want to get outside and get moving!


2 comments:

  1. I have high hopes that the weather will turn around soon... and maybe we're in for a long, warm fall. I know, wishful thinking. Growing all my vegetables and annuals from seed keeps me sane during the late winter and early spring when I'm dying to get outside. Good luck with all your projects.

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like Scottish weather :o)
    But it's amazing how robust some things can be and recover to give a wonderful show later.

    ReplyDelete